*** March 24, 2020 ***
Information on this page has been updated for the CPT review process in Spring 2020.
The CPT Review process is now 100% online. Please see below for step-by-step instructions and ensure that your application meets ALL requirements. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS made to any of the requirements. Any errors you have will cause delays during your CPT approval process, which will affect your application for a Social Security Number/Tax ID, and in turn, your start date at your internship, as well as getting paid by your employer.
APPLYING FOR CURRICULAR PRACTICAL TRAINING (CPT)
It is the responsibility of MCS International Students (F-1) to review the information provided by the UCI International Center on CPT, including eligibility criteria, timeline to apply, and how to prepare and submit your applications.
CPT FOR SUMMER INTERNSHIPS
To determine your eligibility for CPT for Summer Internships, please review all information provided by UCI International Center on F-1: Curricular Practical Training (CPT). If you are eligible for CPT, you may proceed with the MCS CPT review process, summarized below. This review process is mandatory for MCS international students who have secured summer internships. Once a member of the Career Development team has reviewed and approved your CPT application documents, you may proceed with the next steps as outlined by the UCI International Center.
 Review CPT Information on UCI International Center’s page
Complete CPT Online Tutorial to learn about eligibility and application requirements.
 Prepare CPT Documents
[2a] Complete CPT Application Form Section 1, AND
[2b] Verify that your Offer/CPT Letter meets all requirements listed on the International Center’s website
Tip: If you received two (2) letters, i.e. one offer letter and one supplemental CPT letter, please combine the two (2) letters into one (1) single PDF.
 Prepare in CODE
[3a] In CODE, enter Internship Information:
- On Home screen, click on Internship > + Report Experience
- Select Accepted Internship
- Input information and hit Submit
Reminder: Jaclyn and David will review your CPT documents only if you have entered your Accepted Internship in CODE. Please do not skip this step.
[3b] In CODE, schedule CPT Review appointment with Jaclyn or David:
- On Appointments screen, click on Appointment Type and select CPT Review
- Click on a time block and click Book Appointment
- Select an available time slot and upload the following documents as attachments:
- Offer/CPT Letter with all requirements
- If you received two (2) letters, i.e. one offer letter and one supplemental CPT letter, please combine the two (2) letters into one (1) single PDF
- CPT Application Form with Section 1 completed, e-signed and dated
- Your e-signature must be a “wet” signature, meaning it must be a handwritten signature
- Tip: In Adobe, go to Tools > Fill & Sign function to draw/sign your CPT Application Form (see here for a tutorial)
- Offer/CPT Letter with all requirements
- Click Book Appointment to secure your time slot
- Jaclyn and David will review your CPT documents on the date and time of the CPT Review appointment you selected
- If there are any issues with your documents, Jaclyn or David will email you with further instructions. To prevent delay, make sure that your documents meet all requirements (Step 2b) and you have entered your internship information (Step 3a)
- If there are no issues with your documents, please proceed to Step 4a
 Submit CPT Application online
[4a] In CODE, retrieve new CPT documents after 24-48 hours following the time of your CPT Review appointment:
- On the Profile screen, go to Application Materials
- Under Other Documents, you will now see:
- Your Offer/CPT Letter
- CPT Application Form with Section 2 completed and signed by Jaclyn or David
- Your Proof of Enrollment for Summer Sessions I and II
- To view and download each of the documents, click on the ellipsis (⋮) and select View Other Documents.
[4b] Submit CPT application on UCI International Center’s page:
- Go to the CPT Application portal on the International Center’s website to submit your application online and upload required documents, correctly and completely.
- Deadlines to submit CPT applications to the International Center vary depending on your CPT start date. For the majority of students who will begin their internships in Summer Session 1, your CPT Application must be submitted online to the International Center by June 10, 2020 so you can start your internships on June 22, 2020.
- Please note that the International Center requires 10-14 business days, at the minimum, to process your CPT application. If your application is incomplete or incorrect, your application will be denied and the International Center will email and ask you to redo the entire application. This will restart the clock and may cause further delay.
 Set up the mailing of new I-20 with UCI International Center
The submission of your CPT application will result in a new I-20, which will be mailed to you by the International Center. An advisor from the International Center will contact you to set up mailing.
*** APPLYING FOR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYER ID ***
If you have not worked in the U.S. prior to your summer internship, please visit International Center’s website to determine your eligibility and see how to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
F-1 students on CPT are advised not to apply for an SSN more than 30 days before your CPT start date. For example, if your start date is June 22, 2020, the date you should start applying for an SSN is on or after May 11, 2020.
As of March 23, 2020, the UCI International Center has not released updates about the SSN application process. MCS international students are encouraged to keep checking the following sites for updates:
CPT FOR FALL INTERNSHIPS
The following information is applicable only to exiting class of MCS international students, i.e. students who have completed at least three (3) consecutive quarters in the program. Incoming MCS students are not eligible for CPT during their first Fall quarter in the program.
In order for exiting MCS international students to intern in the Fall quarter preceding graduation, ALL of the following requirements must be met:
- The student meets all CPT eligibility criteria outlined by UCI International Center;
- By the end of Spring quarter, the student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher;
- The student will only be taking two (2) courses in Fall, i.e. the 2 Capstone courses and not making up any failed courses;
- The internship is 20 hours or less;
- The company is local and/or student can work remotely; and
- Approved by MCS Faculty Committee.