- December 15, 2023
- January 15, 2024 – Last deadline for all domestic applicants
Applicants should have the following prerequisites completed before submitting an application for admission:
- Required: At least one (1) year of programming in C++, Java, Python, or C, or equivalent of professional experience.
- Highly recommended: At least one (1) year of relevant internship or professional experience.
- Highly recommended: Completion of an algorithms or data structures course.
- Highly recommended: Familiarity with discrete mathematics, boolean algebra, and linear algebra.
Applicants must provide the following:
- Online Application for UCI Graduate Admissions
- Application Fee ($135 for domestic applicants, $155 for international applicants)
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Scan and upload the front and back of unofficial transcripts from all postsecondary studies. Uploaded transcripts should include the following: your name, dates of attendance, grades/marks received, credits and grading legend.
- Note: Official transcripts will be requested if you are admitted and accept our offer of admission. Do not send official transcripts until this time. You will be directed later on when to do so.
- Statement of Purpose
- Please tell us about your personal, academic, and professional goals, as well as why and how the MCS program will help you to achieve these goals.
- Personal History Statement
- Please describe any circumstances that have contributed to your successes and/or challenges encountered during your academic and/or professional career and how these have impacted your pursuit of the MCS degree.
- Official Test Scores
- GRE (Optional)
- To avoid delays, official test scores should be requested to be sent to UC Irvine from the testing agency at the time of the exam.
- UC Irvine’s Institution Code is 4859.
- Photocopies, scans, or self-reported test scores will not be accepted.
- GRE scores are valid for five years.
- GRE (Optional)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System), if applicable.
- For complete information, including minimum scores, waivers, and how to submit official test scores, please visit Graduate Division’s How To Apply webpage.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate your academic and/or professional achievements, including your strengths and weaknesses, your character, integrity, and motivation for pursuing the MCS program. Letters may be from professors and internship/work supervisors. At least two of the three letters should be from academic professors.