APPLYING FOR CURRICULAR PRACTICAL TRAINING (CPT)
It is the responsibility of MCS International Students (F-1) to review the information provided by the UCI International Center on CPT, including eligibility criteria, timeline to apply, and how to prepare and submit your applications.
CPT for Summer Internships
To determine your eligibility for CPT for Summer Internships, please review all information provided by UCI International Center on F-1: Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
If you are eligible for CPT, you may proceed with the MCS CPT review process, summarized below. This review process is mandatory for MCS international students who have secured summer internships.
Once a member of the Career Development team has reviewed and approved your CPT application documents, you may proceed with the next steps as outlined by the UCI International Center.
CPT Review Process Overview for MCS Students:
- Review CPT Information on UCI International Center’s page:
- Complete CPT Online Tutorial to learn about eligibility and application requirements.
- Prepare CPT Documents:
- CPT Review with Career Advisor:
- Schedule a 15-minute appointment in CODE to review your documents with a member of the Career Development team, who will complete and sign your CPT Application Form Section 2.
- You will receive your Proof of Enrollment for CS298 Summer Sessions 1 and 2 at the time of the appointment when your CPT application is approved and signed off.
- CPT appointments are every Monday and Thursday, 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm throughout Spring quarter.
- Submit CPT Application online on UCI International Center’s page:
- After your CPT application is reviewed and signed by a member of the Career Development team, go to the CPT Application portal on the International Center’s website to submit your application online and upload required documents, correctly and completely.
- Deadlines to submit CPT applications to the International Center vary depending on your CPT start date. For the majority of students who will begin their internships in Summer Session 1, your CPT Application must be submitted online to the International Center by June 10, 2020 so you can start your internships on June 22, 2020.
- Please note that the International Center requires seven (7) business days, at the minimum, to process your CPT application. If your application is incomplete or incorrect, your application will be denied and the International Center will email and ask you to redo the entire application. This will restart the 7-day clock and may cause delay.
- Pick up your New I-20 from UCI International Center:
- The submission of your CPT application will result in a new I-20, which you will pick up directly from the International Center on the seventh business day from the time you submitted a complete and correct CPT application.
- Bring a photo ID to the International Center to pick up your new I-20. Visit the CPT page for other pick-up or delivery options if necessary.
- Apply for Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer ID:
- If you have not worked in the U.S. prior to your summer internship, please visit International Center’s website to determine your eligibility and see how to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) .
- F-1 students on CPT are advised not to apply for a SSN more than 30 days before your CPT start date. For Summer 2020, this date is May 11, 2020.
- You will apply for your SSN at a local Social Security Office, which is an off-campus location.
CPT for Fall Internships
The following information is applicable only to exiting class of MCS international students, i.e. students who have completed at least three (3) consecutive quarters in the program. Incoming MCS students are not eligible for CPT during their first Fall quarter in the program.
In order for exiting MCS international students to intern in the Fall quarter preceding graduation, ALL of the following requirements must be met:
- You meet all CPT eligibility criteria outlined by UCI International Center;
- By the end of Spring quarter, the student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher;
- The student will only be taking 2 courses in Fall, i.e. the 2 Capstone courses and not making up any failed courses;
- The internship is 20 hours or less;
- The company is local and/or student can work remotely; and
- Approved by MCS Faculty Committee.