APPLYING FOR CURRICULAR PRACTICAL TRAINING (CPT)
It is the responsibility of MCS International Students (F-1) to review the information provided by the UCI International Center on CPT, including eligibility criteria,
CPT for Summer Internships
To determine your eligibility for CPT for Summer Internships, please review all information provided by UCI International Center on F-1: Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
If you are eligible for CPT, you may proceed with the MCS CPT review process, summarized below. This review process is mandatory for MCS international students who have secured summer internships.
Once the MCS Career Counselor has reviewed and approved your CPT application documents, you may proceed with the next steps as outlined by the UCI International Center.
CPT Review Process Overview for MCS Students:
For detailed information on MCS CPT Review process for Summer 2019 Internships, please reference instructions page located in UCI MCS Career Tools Folder > CPT for Summer 2019.
CPT for Fall Internships
The following information is applicable only to exiting class of MCS international students, i.e. students who have completed at least three (3) consecutive quarters in the program. Incoming MCS students are not eligible for CPT during their first Fall quarter in the program.
In order for exiting MCS international students to intern in the Fall quarter preceding graduation, ALL of the following requirements must be met:
- You meet all CPT eligibility criteria outlined by UCI International Center;
- By the end of Spring quarter, the student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher;
- The student will only be taking 2 courses in Fall, i.e. the 2 Capstone courses and not making up any failed courses;
- The internship is 20 hours or less;
- The company is local and/or student can work remotely; and
- Approved by MCS Faculty Committee.